Sunday, September 11, 2011

Livelihood: Valerie Brown Eyes & Henry Red Cloud

One thing I've learned so far is that the Lakota find a deep sense of pride and self identity in knowing where they come from. A true Lakota thinks and acts with heart. A true Lakota infuses their Native culture and spirituality in everything they do. Its like seasoning that they sprinkle here, there, and everywhere. You may not even notice it being done, but it sure makes everything taste good. You may have read, 80% of the people here are unemployed. This happens for various reasons: lack of transportation, lack of opportunity, lack of education, substance abuse, criminal record, fear of not qualifying for TANF or EBT, politics between "half bloods" and "full bloods," etc. As you can see, there are many barriers. HOWEVER, even with so much oppression, the Lakota as a whole can hold on to the fact that they are still able to find beauty in themselves and in the Creator. The Lakota are not a people of materialism. Thats something that I understood initially, but at the same time, didn't quite wrap my head around what that would look like. My perspective became clearer when Valerie came to the house the other week to show us how she makes mer famous porcupine quill jewelry! (Hopefully I'll be bringing some artisan crafts from here to sell for them back home in Nashville.) Valerie, like many other Natives on the rez, uses her crafts as a means to make money and survive. It is her livelihood. Most artists here have no formal schooling for their art; these are trades passed down to them by their elders. Valerie began her demo by telling us how she gets the quills off the porcupine and dyes them (really nasty, stanky process, by the way). Then, she began to explain how she chose to live off the rez and get a normal job for a number of years while she was in her twenties. After awhile, she hated it. She missed her people, the tradition, the way of life; she became extremely depressed. After overcoming alcoholism and moving back on the rez, she began selling her beadwork. She explained that as she and her brothers and sisters learned how to do the various crafts, her grandmother would use the time to pass down stories and teach them how to pray. Every beadwork is a prayer. There is much thought and intention behind the colors, the pictures, everything. Valerie works with a lot of Sunset and Sunrise colors because they hold a lot of personal meaning for her. The work is extensive, and yet...they don't sell the crafts for as much as one would think. She has thought about setting up ebay and etsy accounts, but lacks the resources. As she explained this, I could tell that it was not a huge concern to her that she could be making more money. Thats the part that clicked to me...she could make more money. But, as long as she can sustain herself on her income, I think thats all she really cares about. She has even taught a White man how to make beadwork. (He in turn set up a huge money making business out of it, using her techniques, but thats another story) Anyway, I thought that was really beautiful. She goes door to door selling beadwork around the rez and will take orders if people request them, but nothing really beyond that. Just goes to show that material wealth really is not at the forefront of her concern. All this to say, I guess I learned that we all have different views of what stability and success look like.

Porcupine quills, dyed.

Valerie doing her thang.

Finished product carrying the symbol for the sacred Black Hills, a shooting star, and a thunderbolt.
tied with buffalo hide. 
Henry Red Cloud. I cannot say enough positive things about this man's character, you have to meet him to really understand. All in all, he's a badass. In my eyes, he is what they call a "wica" in Lakota. A wica is what every Lakota man strives to be. The kind of man who demonstrates the highest of Lakota virtues: generosity, courage, fortitude, and wisdom. Henry began his work in solar energy as he looked for an alternative to woodburning in the winter for his home. So, one day he decided to Google "renewable energy." Long story short, he has since developed his own company, Lakota Solar Enterprises, in which he trains Native people how to do green, cost/energy efficient construction. He calls them "Solar Warriors." Bear in mind, this man has no "formal" schooling in any of the skill required to build these homes. He learned all of these trades and skills by volunteering for housing projects over many years. He is an absolute genius. The people I was with would ask, "Henry, how does this work?" and he would give a short, simple answer, that really was not simple at all. Physics equations and things of the like. However, he's such a simple, soft-spoken man that he is able to respond in a way that even the most clueless person can get a grasp of what he does. This is why I want to learn everything I possibly can from him over the next few months. What he hopes for is "homes by the people, for the people" to solve the extraordinarily high percentage of insufficient, unstable housing on the rez. All the materials used to construct the houses are recycled, energy efficient, and cost efficient. He takes 1970's concepts, 21st century technology, and what he calls "a little touch of Lakota" to produce these incredible straw bale houses. He is a recipient of the Nuclear Free Futures award, which is described as "the most important anti-nuclear award in the world." He stood side by side with internationally renowned scientists, activists, and other accomplished people from various fields. But, upon meeting him, you would never know. All he said about it when I met him and he gave a tour of his ranch was "and then I got a call and I received some award. The anti-nuclear something or other." HA! just goes to show how little he cares about getting praise or recognition. All he wants to do is help his people. The only reason I learned all this is because I had a feeling it was a  huge deal and researched it when I got home. Essentially, these kind of economic and business investments in the community, from the community's members, is the only way that Pine Ridge reservation will rise above poverty. Here is a man who has shown that it is indeed possible to learn how to thrive in both the White mans world of capitalism AND the Native world of Mitakuye Oyasin. He chooses his life of humility. As long as he has his livelihood and can continue his businesses that help his people, he really doesn't care about anything else. He is quite satisfied with his 20 acre land that he can officially say is his land. He's got a greenhouse, a herd of 10 beautiful buffalo, a workshop, gardens, and a home where his ancestors once were. Thats all he needs. Henry picks vegetables and fruits from his garden and gives it away to people on the rez. While he does this, he uses the time to talk to them about the importance of nutrition and educates them on diabetes (its a HUGE problem here because the only foods that people can afford on EBT that will last them all month is LOADED with preservatives. Its given me some health issues already and I've only been here about 2 wks.) In my naivete, still not knowing exactly how accomplished this man was, I asked for his number and if it would be okay for me to offer my help to him on his ranch. Without skipping a heartbeat, he gave it to me. Just like that. I am so honored to even have just met him at all. He is a descendant of Chief Red Cloud, the Chief who essentially owns this tribe. When Henry received his award, he wore his great, great, grandfather's eagle feather to NY to accept it (the Eagle is a symbol of the connection between man and spirit). This is the same feather that Chief Red Cloud wore to the signing of the 1868 Fort Laramie Treaty (one of the 300 treaties that our country has completely ignored, but again thats another story).

*Sidenote: the significance of this all being focused around solar energy is such a beautiful metaphor for the hope of a better Lakota people. The sun plays a huge role in their spirituality, serving as a symbol of the Great Mystery (Wakantanka), death and rebirth. The most sacred Native American tradition, the Sundance, teaches the Lakota people their purpose. It is a four day fast and dance which reminds them of the importance of sacrifice and their connection to all beings in the Cosmos. I really like the way Kelly Looking Horse described it: "You know, by the end of the second day, after you haven't eaten anything and you've been dancing with your family non-stop, there are children crying and you see that the people are in so much pain. From this, you experience wisdom. You look at the ground and you notice the tiny ants, building away. You look in the sky, and you see the birds, floating toward the Heavens. You remember what life means. And you become thankful for it all. You are reborn."

More info on Henry:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/energy-matters/henry-red-cloud-renewable-energy.aspx


Outside- straw bale house
Inside- Henry, the man himself & baby doggies.

Greenhouse

Mix this with earth, water, and smarts. You've got a house.

You can even control the temperature!

Magic Machine

Shed & Workshop

The recycled insulation is not flammable and repels cockroaches, rats, and most other pests.

Office: where the genius happens.

He loves mixing flowers and peppers. Me too :)

Graffiti he spray painted a long time ago
Art depicting the Creation Story. Solar panel.
Green Energy!
More solar panels.

24 comments:

  1. I wish we could be friends still ok please on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valarie brown eyes, I would like to be friends with you please come talk to me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you keep deleting me on Facebook, don't you like/love me anymore please talk to me here is my email address rolandvandenderen83@gmail.com please write to me, love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got the necklace, thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please come back to me valery I am not and never will cheat on you your my one and only love you golden wolf

      Delete
  5. Please πŸ˜’πŸ™ contact me via Facebook messenger or email address rolandvandenderen83@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOW WHO THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO BE WITH 😭 I WANT TO BE WITH YOU DAMN GIVE ME A CHANCE TO GET MY HEALTH BACK IN ORDER AND THEN WE CAN BE TOGETHER DAMN IT PLEASE I LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talk to me please, when I get my divorce, how soon can you get here? I love you ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will never hurt you please come back talk to me, give me a chance and give me your email address please

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sooooooooooo sick to my stomach, I need you I want you,I have something very important to tell you 🀒 please contact me, it is good news I have to tell you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you are doing ok,I haven't heard from you in a while, please contact me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello honey how are you doing? I miss you 😭

    ReplyDelete
  12. rolandvandenderen83@gmail.com. Contact me please I need to talk to you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn,our internet is out because of the snow PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am NOT cheating on you damn it, I love you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Come talk to me I have internet back

    ReplyDelete
  16. Turn your messenger back on so I can send you a voice message please

    ReplyDelete
  17. valery, please talk to me,I want to straighten things up between us please come back to facebook messenger

    Golden wolf

    ReplyDelete
  18. Honey please answer me, I want to talk please?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fine with me if you don't want to be friends damn it,I was trying to help you out of a bad relationship, you go right ahead and get beat up by jo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, I didn't mean to say that I hope no beat you up, I was mad that I wasn't friends with you please come back to meπŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ˜’πŸ˜’

    ReplyDelete