Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Middle Way

I have been exposed to so much pain in so little time. It is hard to have good stamina when you are in the middle of absolutely nowhere. It is hard to remain hopeful and have energy when you are surrounded by a people constantly fighting against the grain of negativity and social injustice. When I first got here, the open space was absolutely refreshing (and it still is), but it takes at least an hour and a half to go anywhere; I can see why many Pine Ridge residents feel trapped or isolated. Furthermore, I can see why people are willing to hitch hike or walk to the nearest large city, even though it will undoubtedly take several hours and is extremely dangerous. I have my own safe space in my room and car, and that is helpful, but it is exhausting that the phone and door are constantly going off. People are constantly asking for things. Sometimes I have to check my patience before talking with people, because not all of them are appreciative or nice, or even sober, and I'm tempted to snap. That being said, here are a few tangible things that have brought me hope and reminded me to be grateful over the past week...
The Cross was given to me by a friend and resident of Tent City,
it was made by a gentleman at Riverbend Maximum Security Prison. If both of them can have hope, surely I can. 

close-up of the Sacred Heart Prayer that my dear Lindsey bought me for my trip :)
 I try to remember to pray it every night. 

close-up of the wall scroll. a nice reminder, I think. 

Even though these are small, seemingly insignificant, things they give me something beautiful to admire. That has always been important to me, finding beauty in life. It is the small things that count most, I think. Its part of the reason I still take the time to put on make up and perfume when I wake up, even though nobody here really wears it.

1 comment:

  1. Hanging on my wall is a small thing you once gave me during pretty much the most painful and heavy time in my life. And it says, just like the one in the picture, "Guts." I was looking at it today, in fact, and then read what you've written here. Guts, you've got 'em.

    ReplyDelete