Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Humility

This morning was a little embarrassing. My burn was throbbing like a mother. I poured Epsom salt on it because the whole thing was swollen, red, and hot. The ladies from Fort Collins all suggested I go to the hospital for antibiotics to treat the infection, but when we called the locations it was a hot mess. Pine Ridge down the street doesn’t serve non-Indians unless its life or death, Gordon Hospital in Nebraska (hr and a half away) “had no physician present.” (I don’t know wtf that means, it’s a hospital for God’s sake) And no one in Chadron picked up the phone (also an hour and a half away). I can’t imagine the kind of bullshit I would have to go through if I didn’t have a car, money, or insurance. And yet, people wonder why 50 yrs is the approximate life expectancy at Pine Ridge. Anyway, all of those complications along with my culture shock over the past few days caused a brief crying episode in the kitchen haha. It wasn't even the burn, it was more the overwhelming sense of helplessness. These people sure as hell are strong. I don't have a working phone as of now; I can't call anyone. I never realized how much I take that for granted, especially in these kinds of scenarios. The Colorado women assured me they would take care of me and I felt much better to know I had a support system. (Middle aged women are the best cuz they tend to treat you like their own child haha) After deciding to wait until Monday so that I could go to the clinic instead of the E.R, we went to see Aisa preach at Makasan. Aisa and Trasita are two of the church elders here in the community and I’ve met them a few times at the Center; both of them are incredibly sweet. When I hug them I know they mean it because it feels like I’m hugging my own grandparents. :) Aisa has the most calming voice. At the service today, he wore a neatly pressed, white shirt and one of those cowboy things that loops around your neck; he looked so handsome with his long, white hair. His wife, Trasita, is a short, hearty woman who has long, dark hair and wears the most incredible jewelry. A lot of it is traditional Native American jewelry; the earrings are handmade by an artist here on the res.
Mmmm, those earrings. Swag.
Trasita's gorgeous hands. The circular ring on the right, middle finger is from Aisa's tribe in Arizona.
She has a charming habit of laughing to herself all the time; it’s the most amazing laugh you could ever imagine. She laughs at everything. When you know the kind of crap she and Aisa go through on a day-to-day basis, it just makes it that much more beautiful to listen to. She has pure joy. Trasita and Aisa live right next to the church in a quaint, yellow house. There are about 10 cars that live on the prairie right next to it, most of which don’t work. The church itself is really quite amazing; it basically looks like a log cabin. The whole thing was built by volunteers over the course of about 3 yrs—mind blowing to see what can happen when people get focused on accomplishing something and work together. During the service there was a miniature horse that kept walking by the door and poking its head in; I could also hear grasshoppers chirping outside the window. J

Alicia & the nosy little Babyhead who wanted to see the service.
Babyhead's friend who was really scared (he had a bloody nose :( may have been bit by a rattlesnake)
There were only about 15 people in the congregation, 7 of which we brought with us. I suppose its because the church is so remote and most people here don’t have cars. I think its important to note that almost everyone else that came had some kind of cough or illness that I could hear or see made them uncomfortable. After the service, we had a potluck in the dining hall. Aisa came up to me and asked why I didn’t sing in front of everyone today. I didn’t know he knew I was a singer Haha. I told him I would sing for church next Sunday; I think Karen wants me to start playing guitar for the kids worship on Wednesday and Thursday, too. I think it will be good for me. I really want to learn songs in Lakota; Aisa said he would try to find a cd for me. After eating, we went home and hung out for a little bit before going with Karen to do a prayer service in a retirement home. Apparently the residents there only pay like $5 a day. That’s insane. On the way, we picked up a beautiful older woman named Dorothy.

Sidenotes:

- During the potluck, I asked one little boy where he was going and he said, "TO POOOOOOP!" haha. What a gentleman.
- Turns out the horses we met are Gabby's son, BJ's. The brown one is Chili Pepper and the other one is Hudini. Trasita wants to keep them because they've been hanging out on her property. She and I are really concerned about Chili Pepper's nosebleed. Gabby called BJ today to make sure he checked it out.

1 comment:

  1. you are amazing and oh so strong for taking on such a journey!

    ReplyDelete