Friday, August 19, 2011

The summer comes to a close...

So, I have 3 days left in Nashville before I leave for the reservation. As the reality of departure sets in, I'm realizing that it has been one hell of a past three weeks. Good and bad. On the first of the month, I moved out of the house I lived in for the past three years. I suppose not just lived in, but made my home. Unfortunately, a series of miscommunications and bad attitudes made the whole moving experience leave a sour taste in my mouth. I suppose it's always hard to see someone mistreat something that you invested a lot of time and spirit in. On a brighter note,  over the past two and a half weeks I've been couch surfing with friends and its been really amazing to see how generous and kind the people that I surround myself with are. A few friends in particular have been especially helpful, and I literally could not have survived all this chaos without them. They have been there to help me haul furniture, store furniture, feed me, house me, and basically help make sure I had a hold of my sanity in some form or fashion. I have to admit, being in between houses was harder for me than I thought. It turns out I'm a nester. I love to make every place I go into my own safe space--its difficult for me not to be able to entertain or cook and know where everything is for cleaning, decorating, etc. Sounds petty, but I think its the small, comfortable things in life like that that make us feel stable. Learning this about myself has kinda made me nervous to be gone so long in such an unfamiliar context. Then again, thats exactly why I chose to go away--so I would be uncomfortable.


With such a short amount of time left before Seth and I make our trip, I've been doing a lot of contemplation... especially because I've been reading a book which was suggested to me by a friend-- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Pirsig. It's a wonderful read if you find yourself interested, and was coincidentally a very appropriate choice for me right now, with the whole "heading out west into an abyss of questions" theme...but more about that later.

For now, I am tired from a nice, long day of friendship. (I've been trying to soak in as much of this city as I can, lately...making up for the time I'll be away, I suppose)

Peace to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment